Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: SM 16-03
Scope and Contents Catherine’s Chapel refers to a small church on Brasstown Rd in the Caney Fork community in Jackson County, North Carolina. The church, established around 1906 was named for Ruth Catherine Parker Hooper, the wife of Western Huston Hooper. Catherine was responsible for soliciting donations from community members for the establishment of a building that would serve as a school and church for the community. Huston, an employee of the Jackson Lumber Company, later known as Blackwood Lumber Company...
Identifier: MSS 11-02
Scope and Contents Records of the First United Methodist Church of Sylva, North Carolina, including, but not limited to, correspondence; meeting minutes, including Board of Stewards, Pilgrim Class, Anne Cowan Circle, Women's Society of Christian Service, Missionary Society, Women's Society, Woman's Home Mission Society, Wesleyan Service Guild; Quarterly Conference Records Books; Sunday School Record Books; financial records; membership information; memorabilia; church histories; architecture and remodeling;...
Identifier: MSS 12-01
Content Description The collection contains materials concerning the McKee, Dills, and related families, of western North Carolina, chiefly Jackson County, NC. Of note are several Civil War letters; a Certificate of Promotion to Second Lieutenant for C.S. Buchanan, July 26, 1863; and state of North Carolina Confederate currency.
Identifier: MSS 80-16
Content Description The collection documents the history of St. David's Episcopal Church of Cullowhee, NC, and contains a scrapbook of the church, parish records, and a taped interview with a former priest.The scrapbook was compiled in 1959, when the church was rededicated. Of note are the autobiography and biographical sketches of Daniel David Davies and the biographical sketches of Thomas Cox, Daniel Davies, and Mrs. Robert Lee Madison.A copy of the St. David’s "Canonical Parish...