Showing Collections: 241 - 270 of 439
The collection consists of a photograph album of Mars Hill College for the early 1920s. Only a few of the photographs are identified with captions.
The one item in the collection is an indebtedness agreement dated January 1, 1857, between William Holland Thomas and Nacheuh (?), a Cherokee. The agreement specifies the terms of the debt, which concerns Thomas acting as an agent for the "Buffalo Indians" (members of the Eastern Band of Cherokee) of Graham County (NC) in some land transactions.
The collection consists a World War II ration ticket book issued to members of the Mathis family of Cowarts, North Carolina. Many of the original stamps are still intact.
Manuscript and drafts of Dr. Maurice B. Morrill’s history of Western Carolina University. Dr. Morrill served as the Dean of Western Carolina University’s Graduate School and also served extensively on university committees. Several of the manuscript drafts are dated between 1979 – 1981. Also included are research materials for the university history and materials from Ms. Eddie Marie Wike Sutton Duckett.
The collection contains materials concerning the McKee, Dills, and related families, of western North Carolina, chiefly Jackson County, NC. Of note are several Civil War letters; a Certificate of Promotion to Second Lieutenant for C.S. Buchanan, July 26, 1863; and state of North Carolina Confederate currency.
Portrait of a "Mountain Man" (canvas). Filed as "oversize." Signed "Susan Connell."
Photographs and scrapbooks of Melba Simpson, of Jackson County, North Carolina.
Diary kept by Ray Moses while attending Higdonville High School in Macon County, North Carolina, during 1915 and 1916. The diary contains references to Professor Robert L. Madison, principal of the Higdonville school during that period.
The Museum of the Southern Highlands was organized for the purpose of preserving and exhibiting artifacts and articles native to Southern Appalachia and to render cultural and educational services. The collection consists mainly of meeting minutes and by-laws (see December 12, 1964). William E. Bird, affiliated with Western Carolina Teachers College, was a member of the board of directors.
Myrtle Wells Bird, the wife of William E. Bird, was the friend and neighbor of Grace Hall Brown. After Myrtle Bird died on January 4, 1983, Brown wrote a poem and reminiscence.
Page of stationery for the New Isothermal Hotel featuring an illustration of the hotel.
A single, uncut printout of news service reports for early 1981 concerning national events.
The origin of this collection is unknown. However, Ms. Spencer was the aunt of baseball player Ty Cobb, and the article contained in this collection -- an original by Ms. Spencer -- concerns her nephew. The poetry selections are also her own, and the obituary is hers.
The collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, photographs, ledgers and/or journals, news clippings, and books and/or pamphlets concerning the Robertson, Norburn, Thomson, Strickland and related families, including Reuben B. Robertson, Sr. and Jr.; Dr. Russell Norburn; Martha Norburn Mead; Dr. E.F. Strickland.
The collection consists of three items:
(1) a photograph of the Rich Mountain Old School House: 1918
(2) a postcard with Y.M.C.A. markings from Blaine Nicholson mailed to Miss Dellie Lovedahl, Cowarts, N.C., and postmarked October 10, 1918.
(3) a photocopy of the Balsam Grove Public School, Rich Mountain, N.C. Closing Exercises, Saturday, November 24, 1905.
The North Carolina Art Education Association (NCAEA) was organized in Greensboro in 1964 for the purpose establishing a channel for instructional improvements and upgrading the flow of information concerning ideas and psychology of art education. In 1974, the NCAEA voted to affiliate with the National Art Education Association.
This addition to the North Carolina Art Education Association collection contains correspondence, minutes of meetings, and reports of the association.
- Correspondence 95
- Photographs 88
- Clippings (information artifacts) 79
- Manuscripts (documents) 43
- Publications (documents) 40
- Newsletters 32
- Reports 30
- Scrapbooks 29
- Genealogies (histories) 28
- Brochures 27
- Legal instruments 27
- Minutes (administrative records) 25
- Financial records 22
- Programs (documents) 22
- Books 21
- Articles 20
- Receipts (financial records) 19
- Booklets 18
- Ledgers (account books) 18
- Postcards 17 ∧ less
- English 372
- No linguistic content; Not applicable 4
- Cherokee 3
- Multiple languages 3
- Spanish; Castilian 2
- Creek 1 ∧ less
- North Carolina Art Education Association 13
- Western Carolina Teachers College 6
- Love, Robert, 1760-1845 5
- Paulk, William 5
- Battle, John Bascombe, 1897-2000 3
- Bird, William Ernest 3
- Cullowhee High School (Cullowhee, N.C.) 3
- Cullowhee State Normal School (Cullowhee, N.C.) 3
- Rotary Club of Sylva (Sylva, N.C.) 3
- Thomas, William Holland, 1805-1893 3
- Bartram Trail Society 2
- Cathey, Joseph, 1803-1874 2
- Champion Paper and Fibre Company 2
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 25th 2
- Cox, Thomas A. (Thomas Augustus), 1863- 2
- Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) 2
- Davies, Daniel David, 1826-1920 2
- Guyot, A. (Arnold), 1807-1884 2
- Hunter, H. T. (Hiram Tyram), 1883-1947 2
- John C. Campbell Folk School 2 ∧ less