Showing Collections: 151 - 180 of 439
The collection consists of eight posters illustrating common psychological problems through symbolism. Also included are three prints/drawings and a mosaic of a Pacific scene.
A newspaper, the Greensboro Daily News (Greensboro, NC) centennial edition, for June, 1959, and four maps (i.e. Native Dwellings of the Pacific Area, Art Forms of the Pacific Area, The Flora and Fauna of the Pacific, and Economy of the Pacific) have been placed in Special Collections Printed Documents.
This collection contains materials of the Higdon Family Association, including scrapbooks, newsletters, membership lists, and related material. The Higdon Family Association is an organization dedicated to studying Higdon family genealogy, along with related family genealogy. The group was founded in 1975 in Franklin, N.C.
More information can be found at their website, www.higdonfamily.org.
Typescript by Imogene Herron Nielsen entitled “Memories of Western Carolina Teachers College, 1931 – 1933” about her experiences at the institution.
The one item in this collection is a photocopy of a bill of sale for a farm sold by Jeremiah Wardrep to William Burton Wiggins, both of Cherokee County, NC. The statement describes the location of the farm, terms of the sale, and is dated July 20, 1885.
William Burton Wiggins was the son of Abraham Wiggins and Margaret Deaver (also spelled Dever).
James Brownlow Lawson (1862 - 1941) was a political figure, park ranger, and sheriff in Tennessee and Colorado. From 1926 to 1938, while living in Sevierville, TN, Lawson corresponded with Ms. Maidee Adams of Memphis, TN. His letters recite stories and anecdotes of his family and ancestry.
The newspaper clippings relate to Lawson's political campaigns in Sevierville. Other materials include genealogies of the Lawson and Bird (or Byrd) families.
Photographs appearing in, or considered for, The History of Jackson County, edited by Max Williams, and published by The Jackson County Historical Society, Sylva, 2001.
The items in the collection relate to the history of Webster, N.C., and include land grants (1858 - 1873), an undated African-American sermon, and the terms of a court compromise in a land suit.
For additional information, see the Webster Historical Society collection (MSS 80-61).
The collection contains as manuscript account of the history of Clay County, North Carolina. The manuscript is essentially in an outline form, with several sections more detailed than others.
Included are biographies of influential men and families of the area, the development of industry and transportation, farming methods, slavery, recreation and wildlife, stock raising, and diet of the people.
The collection consists of two distinct parts. Part one contains Jackson County, North Carolina, tax statements (1921 – 1968) of D. B. Alexander and Mrs. D.B. Alexander and other personal papers. Part two contains correspondence (1929 – 1953), including birthday cards and cards for other celebrations or life events, and featuring the Buchanan and Frady families and Robert L. Madison; photographs; and other personal papers.
The collection consists of a hand-drawn map of Jackson County, N.C., with features dating from c. 1910s.
- Correspondence 95
- Photographs 88
- Clippings (information artifacts) 79
- Manuscripts (documents) 43
- Publications (documents) 40
- Newsletters 32
- Reports 30
- Scrapbooks 29
- Genealogies (histories) 28
- Brochures 27
- Legal instruments 27
- Minutes (administrative records) 25
- Financial records 22
- Programs (documents) 22
- Books 21
- Articles 20
- Receipts (financial records) 19
- Booklets 18
- Ledgers (account books) 18
- Postcards 17 ∧ less
- English 372
- No linguistic content; Not applicable 4
- Cherokee 3
- Multiple languages 3
- Spanish; Castilian 2
- Creek 1 ∧ less
- North Carolina Art Education Association 13
- Western Carolina Teachers College 6
- Love, Robert, 1760-1845 5
- Paulk, William 5
- Battle, John Bascombe, 1897-2000 3
- Bird, William Ernest 3
- Cullowhee High School (Cullowhee, N.C.) 3
- Cullowhee State Normal School (Cullowhee, N.C.) 3
- Rotary Club of Sylva (Sylva, N.C.) 3
- Thomas, William Holland, 1805-1893 3
- Bartram Trail Society 2
- Cathey, Joseph, 1803-1874 2
- Champion Paper and Fibre Company 2
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 25th 2
- Cox, Thomas A. (Thomas Augustus), 1863- 2
- Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) 2
- Davies, Daniel David, 1826-1920 2
- Guyot, A. (Arnold), 1807-1884 2
- Hunter, H. T. (Hiram Tyram), 1883-1947 2
- John C. Campbell Folk School 2 ∧ less