Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Identifier: MSS 80-59
Content Description A.C. Reynolds (1870 - 1953) served as the second president of Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Western Carolina University), from 1912 to 1920. He was influential in Buncombe County education and instrumental in establishing Rutherford College, in Brevard, NC. Reynolds wrote about his experiences in fostering education in western North Carolina, his beliefs about the role of education, and his life as a boy in the mountains of western North Carolina in the late 1890s. The collection...
Dates: 1888 - 1969
Identifier: SM 11-03
Scope and Contents The collection consists of a “Senior Class” diploma presented to Clarence H. Brooks by the Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School, and dated May 8, 1922. The diploma is signed by Robert L. Madison as President and W.E. Bird as Dean of the institution.
Identifier: MSS 96-01
Content Description Draft and final versions, revisions, and carbon copies of William E. Bird's The History of Western Carolina College. Also included are seven (7) photographs featuring Cullowhee High School and/or Cullowhee Normal Industrial School and seven (7) commencement programs from the Cullowhee school (1899, 1905, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1923).
Dates: 1961 - 1963
Identifier: MSS 17-05
Scope and Contents William Ernest Bird was born in the Qualla area of Jackson County, N.C., on July 21, 1890. He attended local schools and graduated from Cullowhee Normal & Industrial School in 1915. He earned a B.A. degree from the University of North Carolina in 1917 and an M.A. in English from George Peabody College in the summer of 1920. Bird served as principal of high schools at Wilkesboro and Sylva, N.C. In 1921, he returned to Cullowhee Normal & Industrial School as vice-president. In 1921 his...
Dates: 1924 - 1957
- Names: Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) X
- Commencement ceremonies 2
- Western Carolina University -- History 2
- Asheville citizen-times (Asheville, N.C. : Daily) 1
- Bird, William Ernest -- Correspondence 1
- Bird, William Ernest -- Manuscripts 1
- Blueprints (reprographic copies) 1
- Church bulletins 1
- Clippings (information artifacts) 1
- College administrators 1
- College presidents -- North Carolina -- Cullowhee 1
- Correspondence 1
- Cullowhee High School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- Students -- Photographs 1
- Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- Students -- Photographs 1
- Diplomas 1
- Educators -- North Carolina, Western 1
- Hotels -- North Carolina -- Webster 1
- Hotels -- Registers 1
- Leatherwood, Lillian, 1898- -- Poetry 1
- Manuscripts (documents) 1
- Minutes (administrative records) 1 ∧ less