Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Identifier: MSS 80-43
Content Description Lewis J. Smith (1843-1901) was born in Haywood County, NC. He served as a Confederate soldier during the Civil War. After the war, Smith settled in the East LaPorte and Cullowhee area of Jackson County, NC. He was a member of the first Board of Trustees of Western Carolina University, then known as Cullowhee High School and later Cullowhee Normal & Industrial School. He served in the North Carolina Senate (1889).The collection concerns the Smith and McGuire families. ...
Dates: 1857 - 1938
Identifier: SM 85-15
Content Description Two copies of an unsigned two page history of Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (now Western Carolina University). The letter outlines the development of the school from Cullowhee High school in 1888 to the Normal School in 1908.
Dates: 1908 - 1909
Identifier: SM 95-03
Content Description Original, handwritten letter from Robert L. Madison, principal of the Cullowhee High School, dated March 5, 1895, from Painter, North Carolina: "Robt. L. Madison, Prin. C.H.S." to "Mr. M. Buchanan, Treasr. Bd. Mgrs. Normal Dept. C.H.S."
Identifier: MSS 96-01
Content Description Draft and final versions, revisions, and carbon copies of William E. Bird's The History of Western Carolina College. Also included are seven (7) photographs featuring Cullowhee High School and/or Cullowhee Normal Industrial School and seven (7) commencement programs from the Cullowhee school (1899, 1905, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1923).
Dates: 1961 - 1963
- Names: Cullowhee High School (Cullowhee, N.C.) X
- Manuscripts (documents) 2
- Programs (documents) 2
- Bird, William Ernest -- Manuscripts 1
- Books 1
- Certificates 1
- Commencement ceremonies 1
- Contracts 1
- Correspondence 1
- Cullowhee High School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- Students -- Photographs 1
- Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- History 1
- Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- Students -- Photographs 1
- Kephart, Horace, 1862-1931 -- Sporting firearms 1
- Land titles -- North Carolina 1
- Madison, Robert Lee, 1867-1954 -- Correspondence 1
- Madison, Robert Lee, 1867-1954 -- Poetry 1
- Military records 1
- Poetry 1
- Postcards 1
- Receipts (financial records) 1
- Scholarships 1 ∧ less