Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Identifier: SM 00-14
Contents The collection consists of an essay written by W. E. Bird, President Emeritus of Western Carolina College and College Historian, titled “Cullowhee State Normal School.”
Identifier: SM 80-44
Content Description The Museum of the Southern Highlands was organized for the purpose of preserving and exhibiting artifacts and articles native to Southern Appalachia and to render cultural and educational services. The collection consists mainly of meeting minutes and by-laws (see December 12, 1964). William E. Bird, affiliated with Western Carolina Teachers College, was a member of the board of directors.
Dates: 1964 - 1966
Identifier: MSS 81-04
Content Description This addition to the William E. Bird collection contains poems by Bird and unidentified photographs.
Dates: 1900 - 1965
Identifier: MSS 90-08
Content Description The collection consists primarily of correspondence from 1937 to 1955 concerning the formation of a museum for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Also included are (1) Tenth Annual Handbook of the Great Smoky Mountains Hiking Club (Knoxville, Tennessee, 1935); (2) B.W. Wells, "The Remarkable Flora of the Great Smoky Mountains" (Asheville, N.C., n.d.); and (3) "General Information Regarding Great Smoky Mountains National Park, North Carolina - Tennessee" (Washington: U.S. Dept. of the...
Dates: 1933 - 1955
Identifier: MSS 96-01
Content Description Draft and final versions, revisions, and carbon copies of William E. Bird's The History of Western Carolina College. Also included are seven (7) photographs featuring Cullowhee High School and/or Cullowhee Normal Industrial School and seven (7) commencement programs from the Cullowhee school (1899, 1905, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1923).
Dates: 1961 - 1963
Identifier: MSS 17-05
Scope and Contents William Ernest Bird was born in the Qualla area of Jackson County, N.C., on July 21, 1890. He attended local schools and graduated from Cullowhee Normal & Industrial School in 1915. He earned a B.A. degree from the University of North Carolina in 1917 and an M.A. in English from George Peabody College in the summer of 1920. Bird served as principal of high schools at Wilkesboro and Sylva, N.C. In 1921, he returned to Cullowhee Normal & Industrial School as vice-president. In 1921 his...
Dates: 1924 - 1957
- Names: Bird, William Ernest X
- Bird, William Ernest -- Correspondence 2
- Manuscripts (documents) 2
- Bird, William Ernest -- Manuscripts 1
- Bylaws (administrative records) 1
- College administrators 1
- College presidents -- North Carolina -- Cullowhee 1
- Commencement ceremonies 1
- Correspondence 1
- Cullowhee High School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- Students -- Photographs 1
- Cullowhee Normal and Industrial School (Cullowhee, N.C.) -- Students -- Photographs 1
- Essays 1
- Families -- North Carolina, Western -- Photographs 1
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (N.C. and Tenn.) 1
- Minutes (administrative records) 1
- Museums -- North Carolina, Western 1
- North Carolina, Western -- Photographs 1
- Poetry 1
- Portraits 1
- Postcards 1
- Programs (documents) 1 ∧ less