Margaret Walker Freel Collection
Margaret Walker Freel (1895 - 1982) was the granddaughter of William Walker II, who settled in Cherokee County, NC, in 1839. She was a graduate of Peace College, in Raleigh, NC, and did graduate work at Columbia University. Ms. Freel resided in the Walker home, which was built by William Walker II in 1839. The home was listed in the National Registry of Historical Places. Her interest in the history of the area culminated in the publication of her book, Our Heritage, about Cherokee County.
The collection consists of:
- A hand-written volume of the book.
- Four volumes labeled Books I-IV, which comprise a typed draft of the book.
- One volume of page proofs.
- One volume of galley proofs.
- A group of miscellaneous draft pages.
- The copy of the volume used by the printer.
This addition to the Margaret Walker Freel collection contains rough drafts and proofs of Freel's book, Unto the Hills. The book is the story of the William Walker II (1812-1864) family and its migration to and settlement in Cherokee County, NC, in 1839.
- 1955 - 1976
- Freel, Margaret Walker, 1895-1982 (Person)
Conditions Governing Use
No publication fee is made for use of Western Carolina University Library special collections material in scholarly publications. The Library retains sole right to judge what constitutes a non-scholarly or commercial publication. Permission to publish commercially, in circumstances where the Library is qualified to grant it, requires proper authorization. Please contact Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
1.75 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Families -- North Carolina -- Cherokee County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Freel, Margaret Walker, 1895-1982. Our heritage Subject Source: Local sources
- Freel, Margaret Walker, 1895-1982. Unto the hills Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Migration, Internal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Proofs (Printing) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Walker, William W., 1812-1864
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hunter Library - Special Collections Repository
Cullowhee United States