St. David's Episcopal Church (Cullowhee, NC)
The collection documents the history of St. David's Episcopal Church of Cullowhee, NC, and contains a scrapbook of the church, parish records, and a taped interview with a former priest.
The scrapbook was compiled in 1959, when the church was rededicated. Of note are the autobiography and biographical sketches of Daniel David Davies and the biographical sketches of Thomas Cox, Daniel Davies, and Mrs. Robert Lee Madison.
A copy of the St. David’s "Canonical Parish Register" is included. It contains the communion, baptism, and marriage records from 1959-1970.
In July, 1978, John Trinks, at the behest of St. David's, conducted an interview with Rev. Dr. A. Rufus Morgan, pastor of St. David's from 1941 to 1959. The collection contains a tape of the interview and a transcript. Of note is Rev. Morgan's recollection of Daniel Davies and also of the rebuilding of St. David's.
The last items in the collection are two duplicate copies of the Constitution and Canons of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. The publication date is unknown, but the items appear to be from the 19th century.
- 1884 - 1963
Conditions Governing Use
No publication fee is made for use of Western Carolina University Library special collections material in scholarly publications. The Library retains sole right to judge what constitutes a non-scholarly or commercial publication. Permission to publish commercially, in circumstances where the Library is qualified to grant it, requires proper authorization. Please contact Special Collections at email@example.com for more information.
.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Biographical sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Church records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Church records and registers -- North Carolina -- Cullowhee Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cox, Thomas A. (Thomas Augustus), 1863-
- Cullowhee (N.C.) -- Church history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Davies, Daniel David, 1826-1920
- Episcopal Church -- North Carolina, Western -- Clergy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Madison, Ella Virginia Richards, 1866-1948
- Morgan, A. Rufus (Albert Rufus), 1885-1983 -- Interviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- St. David's Episcopal Church (Cullowhee, N.C.)
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hunter Library - Special Collections Repository
Cullowhee United States