Alda Turpin Nicholson Collection
This collection contains a number of insightful items concerning the Gragg (Gregg) and Oxner families of Jackson and Haywood counties. It was given the name Alda Turpin Nicholson in honor of Mrs. Carolyn Jean Cogdill’s mother. Mrs. Cogdill donated the collection and is a descendent of the Oxner and Gragg families.
The oldest and perhaps most notable item in the collection is John Gragg’s “Cyphering Book”, which dates back to 1798. According to the book, Mr. Gragg was born September 11, 1781, and died February 2, 1852. His exact place of birth and residency is unknown. The book contains 52 pages of mathematical exercises, measurement tables and genealogical information on the Gragg family. From the addition of whole numbers to the figuring of simple interest, the “Cyphering Book” covers numerical applications that could easily have been used in everyday life. One could infer from the content of the book that Mr. Gragg was a teacher, although no hard evidence has confirmed the idea.
The remaining items of the collection were once property of Henry and Elizabeth Gragg Oxner. According to the 1860 census and other genealogical data, Henry Oxner was born circa 1822 in South Carolina and Elizabeth was born circa 1836 in North Carolina. They were married on April 24, 1860, in Haywood County, NC. The collection includes the Oxners’ land deeds, bills, receipts, indentures, and a counter pin draft that was given to Elizabeth Oxner in 1868.
- 1798 - 1995
Conditions Governing Use
No publication fee is made for use of Western Carolina University Library special collections material in scholarly publications. The Library retains sole right to judge what constitutes a non-scholarly or commercial publication. Permission to publish commercially, in circumstances where the Library is qualified to grant it, requires proper authorization. Please contact Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
.20 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Fragile to Good
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Deeds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gragg family Subject Source: Local sources
- Gragg, John, 1781-1852
- Indentures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oxner family Subject Source: Local sources
- Oxner, Elizabeth Gragg, 1835 or 1836-1918
- Oxner, Henry, 1821 or 1822-1880
- Personal correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hunter Library - Special Collections Repository
Cullowhee United States