Amos Medford Collection
Scope and Contents
Amos Medford, a genealogist, assembled the collection. The collection contains correspondence, business papers, and legal papers of John Liner, a doctor in Haywood County, NC, in the early 19th century; an account by Medford of the 1910 trial of Allen Green, of Haywood County, on charges of manslaughter; a biographical pamphlet by W. Clark Medford on R.A. Sentelle (1846-1934), a former Haywood County school superintendent and minister; a book entitled Old Albemarle and Its Absentee Landlords, by Worth S. Ray; and photographs, mostly school group shots, but some of Confederate veterans’ reunions and a 1901 view of Clyde, NC. Medford's mother, Martha Liner Medford, is the link between the manuscripts and the donor.
Folder 1 - John Liner manuscripts: 1794-1865.
Folder 2 - Amos Medford re: trial of Allen Green: 1910.
Folder 3 - Printed materials: 1886, 1887, 1958.
Folder 4 - Newspaper clippings: 1888-1955.
Folder 5 - Photographs - 5 men: 1906.
Folder 6 - " - Clyde School: 1914.
Folder 7 - " - Tranthams in 1916 Ford.
Folder 8 - " - Clyde school on the hill: 1908.
Folder 9 - " - 5 men: n.d.
Folder 10 - " - Pitus Fork School, 1899.
Folder 11 - " - Yankee Hipps Hotel in Clyde, NC: 1901.
Folder 12 - " - Portrait: unidentified.
Folder 13 - " - Baptist Church, Clyde, NC: 1928. View photo of group in front of this church in WCU Digital Collections.
Folder 14 - " - Waynesville, NC, reunion: 1885.
Folder 15 - " - Clyde, NC: 1901.
Folder 16 - " - Merritt & Margaret Trantham: 1916.
Folder 17 - " - Old Albemarle and Its Absentee Landlords: 1947
- 1794 - 1955
Conditions Governing Use
No publication fee is made for use of Western Carolina University Library special collections material in scholarly publications. The Library retains sole right to judge what constitutes a non-scholarly or commercial publication. Permission to publish commercially, in circumstances where the Library is qualified to grant it, requires proper authorization. Please contact Special Collections at email@example.com for more information.
.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Fragile to Fair
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legal instruments Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School superintendents -- North Carolina -- Haywood County -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sentelle, R. A. (Richard Alva), 1846-1934
- Trials (Manslaughter) -- North Carolina -- Haywood County -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hunter Library - Special Collections Repository
Cullowhee United States