Nathaniel C. Browder Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of photocopies of materials used by Nathaniel C. Browder (1904 - ) in the production of his book The Cherokee Indians and Those Who Came After and pre-publication drafts of the book DeSoto and Other Spanish Explorers and Their Historians (privately published in Hayesville, NC, 1975).
In the collection are photocopied items from the papers of General Winfield Scott, contained in the National Archives (Washington, DC). Inclusive dates of these copies are 1836-1838. Other photocopied materials in the collection are from the John Gray Bynum collection, William L. Connelly collection, and Chiliab Smith Howe collection, all in the Southern Historical Collection at UNC-Chapel Hill. The originals of the photocopies of the W. G. Williams letterbook (1837-1838), concerning surveys in Cherokee County, NC, are in the National Archives and the University of Tennessee Library. Also included in the collection is correspondence between Browder and H. G. Jones, regarding the restoration of Fort Butler.
An addition to this collection contains three unrelated items:
(1) A photocopy of a letter dated November 18, 1776, from William Moore to General Griffith Rutherford concerning an expedition against the Cherokees in western North Carolina; the letter was photocopied from the Griffith Rutherford Papers, Southern Historical Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and permission should be requested from that depository for use.
(2) A photocopy of the will of R. H. Alexander of Burke County, NC, and dated 1878.
(3) A record book of an unidentified country store in the Elf Community, Hayesville, NC, for the year 1901. The book contains prices and the names of several customers
- 1776 - 1977
Conditions Governing Use
No publication fee is made for use of Western Carolina University Library special collections material in scholarly publications. The Library retains sole right to judge what constitutes a non-scholarly or commercial publication. Permission to publish commercially, in circumstances where the Library is qualified to grant it, requires proper authorization. Please contact Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Alexander, R. H.
- Browder, Nathaniel C., 1904- -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cherokee County (N.C.) -- Surveys Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cherokee Indians -- North Carolina, Western -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fortification -- Conservation and restoration -- North Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- General stores -- North Carolina -- Hayesville Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jones, H. G. (Houston Gwynne), 1924- -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letter books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Moore, William, 1726-1812
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rutherford, Griffith
- Williams, W. G. (William George), 1801-1846
- Wills Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Hunter Library - Special Collections Repository
Cullowhee United States