The Cullowhee Baptist Church began holding services in a log building in Cullowhee in 1839, although the congregation has organized nine years earlier near Webster. Successive church buildings in general vicinity of the original building were constructed in 1856, 1918 and 1929.
The congregation was an original member of the Tuckaseigee Baptist Association, formed in 1829. In addition, given the church's proximity to the campus, a number of individuals in the congregation have been active in the development and history of Western Carolina University.
For histories of the Cullowhee Baptist Church and related articles on religion in Jackson County, see:
John Bell, "Some History of Cullowhee Baptist Church," in Jackson County Heritage (Cullowhee, N.C.: Jackson County Genealogical Society, 1992), p. 516. [F262 .J2 J35 1992].
Cliff Lovin, "Religion," in the History of Jackson County, edited by Max R. Williams (Sylva, N.C.: Jackson County Historical Association, 1987), pp. 255-272 [F262.J2 H57 1987]
Edgar Stillwell, Historical Sketch of Tuckaseigee Baptist Association (1829-1929) (Cullowhee: Western Carolina Teachers College, 1929). [BX6209.T8 S73]